Wednesday, August 25, 2010

LDAP Administration

Since I visit many different customers, and set up different manufacturer equipment, I try to use LDAP authentication wherever possible.  This allows the administrators to revoke access to a users/netadmin from one location.  If someone leaves, disable their LDAP account and they lose VPN, Domain, Equipment access etc.

I used to use a bloated tool in Windows to do this.  I found a nice light weight tool LAT.  This utility allows you to connect, browse and edit LDAP servers.  I use it primarily for browsing the LDAP.  I usually have the customer create a non-admin user,  then I use that username/password with LAT to see if it in fact works.  Usually this saves me a lot of time when the netadmin fat fingered the password.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment